History of St. Mary’s Church , Coomera

The first recorded coming together of Catholics in the Coomera River District was in April 1866. The church building was erected in 1890 at Upper Coomera. It was then extended and transferred to Oxenford in 1935, and Church1890moved to the present site at Upper Coomera in 2005.


St Mary’s became a separate parish in late 1997. St Mary’s Catholic Community is a growing vibrant parish catering for a diversity of age groups and ethnic backgrounds. Our two Mass centres are welcoming and community based..

Significant dates for the Catholic Church in the region

1860’s to early 1870’s —-Occasional pastoral Visits By Fr.Denis Fouhy.


1865 First Catholic Church in Logan Reserve district(near Woodridge)
1870’s Mass at Binstead Homestead Coomera

1875 to 1884 Part of Logan Mission

Logan Mission covers from Stradbroke Island ,St Helena Island and Cleveland to NSW border , Beaudesert and to Boonah


1875 Fr.Benedict Scortechni,a botanist, buys Masonic Hall in Yatala and converts it to the first Catholic Church in the Beenleigh District, It was opened by Bishop Quinn. Churches >opened in Tallebudgera 1878,Southport 1882,and Nerang 1882. Visit the Council of Heads of Australian Herbaria for a detailed biography of Fr.Scortechni
1875-1884 Fr.Scortechni visits the Coomera River on a 3 monthly circuit. Masses,baptisms funerals and weddings held at Siganto Home,Upper Coomera

Pastor of Logan Parish

John & Elizabeth Siganto Collection:Local Studies Library,Gold Coast Council

John & Elizabeth Siganto
Collection:Local Studies Library,Gold Coast Council


Pastoral Care with Fr.Enright and Fr.O’Reilly

1884-1887 Fr.James Enright baptises in Coomera on his Circuit (he resides in Beaudesert)
1887-1891 Fr.Enright and his new assistant priest Fr.James O’Reilly baptise in Coomera on their circuits
1888 Fundraising for new Church on the Coomera well underway (25/2/88 The Southern Queensland Bulletin)
1890 New Church at Upper Coomera


Part Of New Southport Parish

1892 Logan Mission divided- Southport,a new parish including Upper Coomera Church and Beenleigh; Waterford part of Beaudesert Parish; Cleveland and Dunwich were attached to Brisbane
1935 Transfer of Upper Coomera Church to Oxenford

St. Mary’s Church being transported across Coomera Weir on the way from Upper Coomera to Oxenford , c1935
Collection: Local Studies Library, Gold Coast City Council

Saint Mary’s Church, Oxenford, circa 1935
Collection: Local Studies Library, Gold Coast City Council


Part of new Runaway Bay Parish

1980 St Mary’s Church reopened after local working bees (after having been closed for nine years)
1993 Bishop Cuskelly (November 10th) invites Vincential Priests to establish Oxenford Pastoral area. Vincentians agree on November 15th

RCIA begun locally
Church ramp constructed
Priest residence/office/meeting space rented in Helensvale (and later changed to rental at Oxenford until end of 1997)


Oxenford Pastoral Mission

1994 Fr Brian Spillane, Fr Bill Irwin, Sr Marie, Sr Fran
Weekend masses increased from one to three
Formation of mission leadership team ‘Vision’ Team
Ministers Circle formed. Ecumenical Pastoral Group formed
Care and Concern Group and Finance Group formed

1997 to present

Oxenford becomes a separate parish (December 1997)

1997 Gerry Hefferan is appointed Parish Priest November
1998 Parish office/residence moves to Xanadu, Upper Coomera in January
1998 Parish twins with Soibada parish in East Timor
1999 Establishment of St Mary’s St Vincent de Paul conference
2000 Sr Moira begins as Pastoral Associate
2001 Local Covenant signed May 20th with St Mary’s Catholic Community Oxenford, Gold Coast North Anglican Church, Apostolic Church Australia, Uniting Church Coomera – Helensvale Linked Congregations
Opening of Jubilee Primary School
2005 Church building moved to the present Upper Coomera site
Opening of Assisi Catholic College
2006 Opening of St Mary’s Child Care Centre (run by Centacare)
2007 Fr Patrick Lim appointed administrator in November 2007
2008 Fr Adrian Sharp appointed Parish Priest
2010 Fr Antony Vadakara appointed Parish Priest in August 2010
2016 Fr John Echewodo appointed Parish Priest in June 2016


Assisi Advertisement


Weekly Readings


From Father John
Dear parishioners, visitors & friends,
In the last two Sundays, we have read, pondered and reflected on Saint John’s accounts of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. This weekend, we are reflecting on the story of the resurrection of Christ from the perspective of Saint Luke. There are differences in the accounts of the various gospel writers; but, their differences are not in the essential contents of the message but in the perspectives employed by the evangelists. All the gospel writers made sense of the Good News of Jesus from different dimensions. In the gospel of last weekend, the refusal of Thomas, one of the twelve, resulted in the risen Lord making a further appearance in the room where the disciples were hiding in fear of the Jews. In the gospel of this weekend, what we have is a continuation of the appearance of the risen Lord to the two disciples who were on their way to Emmaus (Luke 24:13-35). When we read back into this gospel passage, we will find out that these two disciples were leaving Jerusalem because they were disappointed with how the life of Jesus Christ had ended. ‘They had heard the witness of the women, but they were not convinced. Some of them had gone to the tomb, and found things as the women had reported, but they did not see Jesus Christ.’ Therefore the journey out of Jerusalem was a sign of despair. Like these two disciples, there are times in our journey of faith or even in our life, when for one reason or another, we feel terribly disappointed, disgusted and disillusioned. In these moments, Jesus Christ comes and walks with us. He journeys with us. Jesus accepts our hospitality and the invitation into our hearts if only we invite Him. The journey away from the faith ended for the two disciples as they invited Jesus into their home and recognised Jesus at the breaking of the bread. This might appear like the Eucharist, but it doesn’t look like the Eucharist. This would have been like our BBQ and the dinner we have with family and friends. The risen Lord shared an ordinary meal with two ordinary people who opened their hearts and their home to Him, and invited Him in. As Christians, it is not only in the Church or at the Eucharistic table that we can see and recognise Jesus Christ. The church building is not the only place we can be with Jesus Christ and recognise Him. We can be with Christ and recognise Him in our homes, work, and wherever we are all through the days of the week. Mother Teresa of Calcutta said she cared for the poor and less fortunate because in them she saw Jesus Christ.’ May the mystery of the resurrection of Jesus Christ open the eyes of our minds so that we can always see and recognise not only the risen Lord but also each other as companions on the journey of faith. The Lord has risen from the dead. May our faith in the resurrection of Christ Jesus always find concrete expressions in the way we see and recognise our fellow human beings as ‘imago Dei.’ 
God bless you all. 

Fr. John Ikechukwu Echewodo,
Parish Priest 
Christmas 2016



All  events and holy mass  will be held at the St. Mary’s Worship Center, Upper Coomera

Saturday, 24th December (CHRISTMAS EVE)

4.30pm –  Carol Singing   | 5:00  – Holy Mass 

9.30pm –  Carol Singing  | 10:00 pm –  Holy Mass 

Sunday 25th December 2016 (CHRISTMAS DAY)

7.30am Holy Mass

9.30am Holy Mass

Saturday, 31st December (NEW YEAR’S EVE)

6pm – Holy Mass 

Sunday 1st January 2017 (NEW YEAR’S DAY)

7.30am Mass  |  9am Mass | 5pm Mass 


Lenten Progam





Ash Wednesday – Mass at 7pm

Stations of the Cross – Every Friday at 7pm

Mass Times :